Both sides have released a myriad of campaign ads over the past month or two. Much to my dismay, quite a few of them have been misleading or hypocritical. Some are from super-PACs, some are from their respective campaigns. All you need to know is that both sides have been doing this and it’s getting a little tiresome. I’ve been waiting for this campaign to get serious… Clearly we haven’t reached that point yet. The ad that I will be scrutinizing today is one from an Obama super-PAC.
This ad was created by Priorities USA, a super-PAC which is obviously backing President Obama.
Now let me break it down for everyone… Here is all of the information you need to know about this situation:
- First and foremost, Joe Soptic’s wife passed away in 2006. She did not die shortly after the steel plant was closed down, as the advertisement implies. Furthermore, she did have health insurance through her employer for a period of time.
- Next is the obvious fact (I say fact because nobody has been able to prove otherwise) that Mitt Romney left Bain in 1999 and did not have any say in the day-to-day decisions. He kept the titles sole owner, president, Chairman and CEO of the company during a period of transition. Romney formally left Bain a couple of years later.
- Joe Soptic didn’t even lose his job while Romney was in control of Bain! He lost it in 2001, 2 years after Romney leaves Bain. His wife still had insurance at the time.
- In 2002/2003 Joe said his wife lost her job and became uninsured.
- Then years later, in 2006, she went to the hospital with pneumonia and they discovered the stage 4 cancer. Sadly it was far too late for her at this stage. No amount of health care would make a difference. I believe she died within a month of her diagnosis.